Sunderland house fire 'quickly' extinguished

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

Manchester Journal

SUNDERLAND — A fire at a home on New Year's Eve was "quickly extinguished" by the Arlington Fire Department, the department's fire chief said in a news release.

Firefighters responded to a structure fire at 19 Bacon Hollow Road around 6:14 p.m., according to the release. They found a fire in the home's living room, which they extinguished.

The home's residents had left the building before firefighters arrived, and no one was injured by the blaze, according to the release.

The fire caused "extensive damage" to the living area and "significant smoke and soot damage throughout the rest of the home," Arlington Fire Chief Jamie Paustian said.

The fire is believed to have originated from a candle on a mantlepiece that spread to holiday decorations, the walls and ceiling, according to the release. Smoke detectors were active at the home.

The Arlington Rescue Squad and Bennington County Sheriff's Department assisted the fire department on the scene.



If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions