Wheels for Warmth begins collection
BENNINGTON >> The Wheels for Warmth team is asking Vermonters to help their neighbors in need and donate old tires no longer in use to the 12th annual Wheels for Warmth tire recycle and resale event.
Established in 2005, Wheels for Warmth's three goals are to:
• Raise funds for emergency fuel assistance;
• Create a resource of DMV-inspected tires that are deemed safe for at least one season of use, for sale at no more than $25 per tire;
• Reduce the number of tires being discarded in rivers and along the roadside, by providing a convenient, inexpensive way to dispose of unwanted tires.
In 11 years, Wheels for Warmth has raised more than $312,000 for emergency fuel assistance, sold 14,700 safe donated tires, and recycled more than 25,000 unsafe, unusable tires.
The 12th annual Wheels for Warmth tire sales are on Oct. 29 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at:
• Dubois Construction, 46 Three Mile Bridge Road, Middlesex
• Casella Construction, 25 Industrial Lane, Mendon
Tire donations will also be accepted at these locations during that time. Proceeds from both sales and all recycling fees will benefit heating assistance programs at community action agencies around the state, such as Capstone Community Action, Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity in Northwestern Vermont and BROC Community Action in Southwestern Vermont.
Tires can be donated from Oct. 14 through Oct. 24 during business hours (typically 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at the following locations:
• Bond Auto, 141 Strongs Ave, Rutland
• Bond Auto, 590 Memorial Drive, St. Johnsbury
• Bond Auto, 413 Main Street, Enosburg Falls
• Vianor Tire, 375 River Street, Montpelier
• Vianor Tire, 133 Strongs Ave, Rutland
• Village Grocery, 4348 Main Street, Waitsfield
• Dick Mazza's General Store, 777 W. Lakeshore Drive, Colchester
• BROC, 45 Union Street, Rutland
• BROC, 332 Orchard Road, Bennington
• Bigras Auto, 25 Gable Place, Barre
Please note: DMV inspectors are not available at these sites, so all tires require a $4 fee. One-hundred percent of the recycling fees go to the Wheels for Warmth program, thanks to Casella Waste Management.
Tires will also be accepted and inspected by the Department of Motor Vehicles on Oct. 27 and Oct. 28, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the following four locations:
• Dubois Construction, 46 Three Mile Bridge Road, Montpelier (sale location)
• Casella Construction, 25 Industrial Lane, Mendon (sale location)
• Casella Waste Management, 28 Avenue C, Williston
• Percy Park, 269 Weeks Hill Road, Stowe
Car and truck tires will be accepted for resale at no charge if they meet inspection criteria. All tires will be accepted for recycling at a charge of $4/tire. For more information, please visit www.wheelsforwarmth.org.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.