VT-NH Komen affiliate awarded $450,000

MANCHESTER - Wendy Gawlik, Chair of the Vermont-New Hampshire Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Committee, is pleased to announce that the Affiliate awarded $450,000 to 16 community-based breast health programs in Vermont and New Hampshire, bringing the total sum of monies awarded locally for breast cancer education, screening and treatment to $6,650,000 since 1993. These latest local grants represent 75 percent of all funds raised during the year; the remaining 25 percent was devoted to breast cancer research.

This year's grants went to: Brattleboro Memorial Hospital - Accommodation for Mammogram Access; Cancer Patient Support Program - Cancer Patient Support Program Emergency Fund; Cancer Patient Support Program - Retreat & Networking Events for Stage IV Breast Cancer Survivors; Central Vermont Medical Center - Breast Care Project; Families First Health & Support Center - Breast Cancer Screenings for Uninsured Women; Forest Moon - Renewing the Spirit Workshops & Retreats; Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital - New Hampshire/Vermont Emergency Fund; North Country Hospital - North Country Breast Cancer Outreach Project; Rutland Regional Medical Center - Breast Health Outreach Education Program; Southwestern Vermont Health Care Foundation - Camisole, Cancer Treatment and Support Handbooks Project; Southwestern Vermont Health Care Foundation - SVMC Breast Health Outreach Program; Stowe Weekend of Hope - Stowe Weekend of Hope; The Memorial Hospital, North Conway, N.H. - Breast Health Navigation Program; Vermont Cancer Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine - 16th Annual Breast Cancer Conference; Vermont Cancer Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine - Embracing the Family Tree/A Retreat for Individuals with Hereditary Breast Cancer 2013; VT Dept. of Health/Ladies First - Ladies First Program/Increasing Early Detection of Breast Cancer among Low Income VT Women.

In addition to the grants noted above, appropriate non-profits that meet certain criteria may apply for Small Grants (up to $2,000), Conference Grants (up to $5,000) and Travel Scholarships (up to $1,000 domestic; up to $2,000 international) throughout the year by visiting komenvtnh.org and clicking on Grants.

This is the second year that the Affiliate will sponsor two Races. The Second Annual Komen New Hampshire Race for the Cure will start and finish at the Strawbery Banke Museum in historic downtown Portsmouth, N.H., on May 11, while the 21st Annual Komen Vermont Race for the Cure will be held at Hildene Meadows in Manchester on Sept. 21. The Vermont Race will also feature a new, 10K race, in addition to the 5K run and walk.

Get more information, volunteer and register for both events at www.komenvtnh.org or call 888-550-CURE.

For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit www.komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions