Dorset voters OK $700K water bond

Posted
Dorset — Folks in the village will soon have a new water system after usage restrictions and complications over the past three years.

One hundred and twenty residents turned out Monday night to vote on the $700,000 Dorset fire district water bond.

It passed 88 to 32. It will be a 30-year bond with the Vermont Municipal Bond Bank, and only water users will pay for it. Town Manager Rob Gaiotti said he anticipates an interest rate of 3.75 to 4.25 percent.

"Including the bond payment, the average annual water fee is $713 per year," Gaiotti said. "This is higher than in the past but less than some other municipal water systems in the area."

Out of the $700,000 bond, $600,000 will be used to permit and construct a new well to be used as an additional water source for the village water system. For an up-to-date metering station to record water consumption per minute per hour, construction will cost $60,000.

The remaining $40,000 will go toward a hydraulics study for anticipated future water system improvements.

"These options will likely include fixing leaks, upgrading distribution lines and looking at how to make the fire hydrants functional for firefighting again," Gaiotti said.

The fire district serves 175 water users, a mix of residential and commercial properties, where homes account for 80 percent of users and businesses make up the remaining 20 percent, according to Gaiotti.

The village's existing water source consists of a group of springs located off Church Street. Gaiotti said that in the summer and early fall the springs decrease in production.

Plans for the new water source are expected at end of September or early October. In 2015 and 2016 the village experienced lacking volumes of water to service the system and decided an expansion of water sources would help.

TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions