Town tax installment due

The second installment of the Fiscal Year 2012-2013 taxes is due and payable on or before February 8, 2013, at 4:30 p.m. Taxpayers may pay this installment in one of the following ways:

1) By Mail. Send check or money order to the Town of Manchester, Finance Office, 6039 Main Street, Manchester Center VT 05255. Payments not postmarked by the due date will be deemed delinquent, and are subject to interest charges, by law (1percent per month or portion first three months, 1 1 2 percent per month thereafter), plus 8percent lien penalty.

2) In Person. The Finance Office is open between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Voters at Town Meeting established the due dates and time of installments. Payments made in person after that time will be deemed delinquent and are subject to late charges, by law, as described in paragraph one.

Please use the correct Town of Manchester mailing address:


IMPORTANT LEGISLATIVE CHANGE FOR 2013: Filing Homestead Declarations annually will once again become mandatory for 2013. If you are a Vermont resident and own and occupy a Vermont dwelling as your principal residence on April 1, 2013, you must file a Homestead Declaration, Form HS-122, by April 15, 2013.

PROPERTY TAX ADJUSTMENT CLAIM: Homestead owners may be eligible for a Property Tax Adjustment based on their housesite value and income. The property tax adjustment is a credit applied against your property tax bill. The credit will be reflected on your 2013-14 property tax bill as a state payment.

Property Tax Adjustment Claims are made to the Vermont Department of Taxes. To file for a Property Tax Adjustment Claim, you must 1) be a Vermont resident all of calendar year 2012; 2) not be claimed as a dependent in tax year 2012; 3) have owned and occupied the property as your principal residence on April 1, 2013, and 4) have the property declared as homestead on the 2013 grand list. You may be eligible for a property tax adjustment even if you do not have a requirement to file a Vermont income tax return. Call the Vermont Department of Taxes at 866-828-2865 for more information.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions