Rebels down Eagles 2-0

ARLINGTON - Deadlocked at 0-0 almost midway through the second half, Leland & Gray junior defenseman Emily Thibault lofted a shot from outside the box that floated over Arlington keeper Whitney Walsh's head to put the Rebels on top 1-0.

The goal would be all the Rebels (1-2) would need, but they weren't done. A couple of minutes later - with 21:12 remaining in the game - freshmen forward Ashley Bates crossed a shot from the left wing that found the back of net to give Leland & Gray an insurance goal. The goal would be the last of the day as the Rebels went on to win 2-0.

The loss drops the Eagles to 0-3 so far on the season.

"It's kind of frustrating you know you dominate a game like and you lose. You lose 2-0," said Arlington coach Dan Wood. "We just don't seem to finish well as a team."

About midway through the first half, Arlington's Molly Elwell launched a nice shot on goal, bending it toward the upper right corner. But Leland & Gray goalie Elizabeth Gallup timed it perfectly, jumping up in time to knock the ball over the net. The two teams battled for possession in the first half and although Arlington had more scoring opportunities, they were unable to capitalize.

Leland & Gray came out strong at the beginning of the second half, controlling possession of the ball and getting shots off on goal. Early on, forward Stevie Roberts fired a shot that hit post. She rushed in for the rebound, but Walsh - who was playing in place of starting goalie Hannah Andrew who was not at the game - smothered the ball to keep the game tied nil-nil.

About seven minutes later Roberts hit a header, feeding junior midfielder Emily Stockwell who fired on goal only to see her shot sail wide left. Leland & Gray coach Lucas Bates said he was impressed with his team's performance throughout the game.

"This was a really good complete game for them," said Bates. "We played really good defense as well as really good offense, possessed the ball at midfield and it was nice to see."

Midway through the second half though the Eagles began to come alive, dominating possession of the ball and getting some good looks at goal. With about 17 minutes left to play in the game Arlington fired a shot that struck off the post, but Gallup quickly gobbled it up to keep the 2-0 lead in place.

The play was an example of an area that Wood said team has been struggling in so far this season.

"We get up there in front of the goal, we shoot it and everybody stands and watches," said Wood. "Even that one nice shot we had. It hit the post and everybody's just standing watching it. Nobody went in to get the rebound."

Arlington had another chance a few minutes later when Elwell set up junior Julia LaCoste, but her shot sailed wide right of the goal.

Walsh - a freshman - tallied 10 saves on the afternoon and Gallup had 12 for Leland & Gray.

Follow on Twitter @ BrandonCanevari


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions