Londonderry man pleads guilty to several charges

BENNINGTON -- A man who allegedly fought with police and told them he was Batman after trying to gain entry into an occupied home at 4 a.m. remembers nothing of the incident, according to his attorney.

Patrick L. Cote-Abel, 18, of Londonderry, pleaded not guilty Monday in Bennington Superior Court Criminal Division to a felony count of unlawful trespass of an occupied dwelling, two misdemeanor charges of assaulting a police officer, and one count each of disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest. He was released on the conditions that he abide by an 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew at his mother's residence in Londonderry, not to leave the state, and to not have contact with the Redmond family whose home he is accused of trying to enter.

His attorney told the court Cote-Abel has no memory of the incident and does not know the Redmond family.

According to an affidavit by Manchester Police Cpl. James Blanchard, on April 28 at 4 a.m. he and Officer Daniel Steere were dispatched to a home on West Road for a report of a male trying to enter a residence. Later they would speak to the homeowner, Brian Redmond, who said the male, later identified at Cote-Abel, had gone to each of his home's doors and windows in an attempt to get inside. Redmond asked Cote-Abel what he wanted, to which Cote-Abel replied "Is James here?"

He said Cote-Abel managed to enter the garage and shine a flashlight into Redmond's face through a door window. He then ran away.

Blanchard wrote that while police were en route to the scene they received word that Cote-Abel had left and might be near the Equinox Hotel. Blanchard said he went to the hotel's lobby any found Cote-Abel sitting on a couch wearing socks, underwear, a tie-dye T-shirt, but no pants or shoes. Watching Cote-Abel was Robert Sargent, a security officer at the hotel, who later told police Cote-Abel had come in and asked if the hotel had a reservation for "Superman at the Apokolips." Cote-Abel then left but the came back and sat down.

Blanchard said he started to speak to Cote-Abel but he got up and tried to punch Blanchard before running out of the lobby, losing his shirt when Blanchard tried to stop him.

Cote-Abel was chased by police to a swampy area near Union Street where they had difficulty restraining him. Blanchard wrote that Cote-Abel tried to strike both him and Steere twice so they sprayed Cote-Abel with pepper spray. Blanchard wrote that when Cote-Abel was being taken to an ambulance he started to talk about the comic book and movie super-hero Batman and identified himself as Batman. Cote-Abel was transported to the Rutland Regional Medical Center by the Manchester Rescue Squad.

Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at or follow him on Twitter @KWhitcombjr.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions