KOMEN awards $350,000 to local breast cancer programs

MANCHESTER - Susan G. Komen Vermont-New Hampshire's Grants Committee has announced that the affiliate awarded $350,000 to 11 community-based breast health programs in Vermont and New Hampshire, bringing the total sum of money awarded locally for breast cancer education, screening and treatment to $7,000,000 since 1993. These latest local grants represent 75 percent of all funds raised locally during the year; the remaining 25 percent was devoted to breast cancer research.

This year's grants went to: Cancer Patient Support Program - CPSP Emergency Fund; Central Vermont Medical Center - CVMC Breast Care Project; Fletcher Allen Healthcare - 13th Annual Retreat for Stage IV Breast Cancer Survivors; Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital - NH/VT Emergency Fund; North Country Hospital - Breast Cancer Outreach Program; Planned Parenthood of Northern New England - Breast Health Care for Uninsured and Low Income Women; Rutland Regional Medical Center - Rutland Breast Health Education Outreach Project; Southwest Vermont Health Care Foundation - SVHC Breast Health Outreach Program; The Memorial Hospital - Breast Health Patient Navigation; Trustees of Dartmouth College - Strategies to Increase Breast Cancer Screenings and the University of Vermont - 17th Annual Breast Cancer Conference.

In addition to the grants noted above, appropriate non-profits that meet certain criteria may apply for Small Grants (up to $2,000), Conference Grants (up to $5,000) and Travel Scholarships (up to $1,000 domestic; up to $2,000 international) throughout the year by visiting komenvtnh.org and clicking on Grants.

This is the third year that the Vermont-New Hampshire Affiliate will sponsor two races. The third Annual Komen New Hampshire Race for the Cure will start and finish at the Strawbery Banke Museum in historic downtown Portsmouth, N.H., on May 10, while the 22nd Annual Komen Vermont Race for the Cure will be held at Hildene Meadows in Manchester on Sept. 20. To get more information, or to volunteer and register for both events, visit www.komenvtnh.org or call 888-550-CURE.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions