Criminal court news, Bennington


BENNINGTON >> The following cases were heard recently in Vermont Superior Court Criminal Division, Bennington unit.

Man accused of fracturing another's eye socket

Dakotah M. Barsalou, 20, of Bennington, pleaded not guilty Monday to aggravated assault. He was released without bail under conditions, among them he not contact the alleged victim.

According to Bennington Police, on March 8 a male reported that Barsalou shoved him to the ground and punched him in the face. The male sought medical attention a few hours later and learned he had a "right orbital wall floor fracture."

Police located Barsalou, who admitted to assaulting the male. Barsalou said the male started it by making comments to him as he passed by on the street, then acting aggressive when Barsalou followed him in a Jeep to confront him.

Police said Barsalou is currently in a relationship with a woman whom the alleged victim used to date.

Man accused of third DUI after crash

Adam J. Gordon, 35, of Peru, pleaded not guilty Monday to a third offense of driving under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of a crash with property damage, and false information to a police officer. He was released without bail under conditions, among them he not consume alcohol.

According to Vermont State Police, on April 9 troopers responded to a reported vehicle crash on Route 11 in Landgrove, west of Valley View Drive. The vehicle had struck a guardrail. The driver was not there, nor were there any passengers. Police found inside the vehicle a wallet, a flask, and bloodstains. Later police obtained a warrant to further search the vehicle and found a small amount of marijuana.

They learned the vehicle was registered to Gordon, then learned that Gordon had checked himself into the Springfield hospital. Police went there and found Gordon. He was bleeding from recent wounds and appeared intoxicated. He denied driving while intoxicated and claimed he had fallen down while in Louisiana, which police did not believe. He then gave police the number for his attorney and refused to speak with them further.

He was arrested while trying to leave the hospital and gave a breath sample showing his blood-alcohol level to be .141 percent.

On April 10, police spoke to a bartender in Londonderry who said Gordon had been drinking there on the night of the crash.

According to court records, Gordon was convicted of DUI on March 20, 2007, and again on April 1, 2009.

— Staff reports


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions