1st installment of property taxes due Sept. 5

MANCHESTER - The first installment of the Fiscal Year 2014-2015 taxes is due and payable on or before Sept. 5, at 4:30 p.m. Taxpayers may pay this installment either by mail or in person.

Those sending payment by mail should send a check or money order to the Town of Manchester, Finance Office, 6039 Main Street, Manchester Center, VT 05255. Payments not postmarked by the due date will be deemed overdue, and are subject to interest charges, by law (1 percent per month or a portion first three months, 1 1/2 percent per month thereafter).

For those who plan to pay in person, the Finance Office is open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Voters at Town Meeting established the dates and time of installments. Payments made in person after that time will be deemed overdue and are subject to late charges, by law.

Please use the correct Town of Manchester mailing address: Town of Manchester, 6039 Main St., Manchester Ctr., VT 05255.

HS-122-Declaration of Vermont Homestead and Property Tax Adjustment Claim: The statte cforms are available in the Vermont Income Tax Booklets.

"Homestead Declarations must be filed each year. Those people who are Vermont residents and owned and occupied a Vermont dwelling as their principal residence April 1 must file a Homestead Declaration, Form HS-122. The homestead declaration must be filed even if the due date of April 15 has passed. The declaration is necessary so that a person's property is charged the Homestead tax rate, and is a prerequisite to a property tax adjustment. Late filing penalties apply to all forms filed after April 15.

Further "Property Tax Adjustment Claim"

Homestead owners may be eligible for a Property Tax Adjustment based on their housesite value and their income. The credit is reflected on a person's 2014/15 property tax bill as a state payment. Property Tax Adjustment Claims are made to the Department of Taxes by filing Form HS-122, Section B. To be eligible for a Property Tax Adjustment Claim, a person must (1) have been a Vermont resident all of calendar year 2013; (2) not have been claimed as a dependent for tax year 2013; (3) have owned and occupied the property as their principal residence on April 1, 2014; and (4) have the property declared as homestead on the 2014 grand list. An individual may be eligible for a property tax adjustment even if they do not have a requirement to file a Vermont income tax return. Visit the state website at http://tax. vermont. gov or call 1-866-828-2865 for more information.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions