The excursion will take place on the the Emporium Lumber Co. logging railroad that ran from Mt. Tabor South End north along the base of the mountains about half way to Brooklyn (Mt. Tabor Village) from 1906-1916.
Those who attend will see the junction with the present Vermont Railway, the remains of the Otter Creek bridge, the foundation of the South End mill, the four hill climbing switchbacks, several cuts, and the north loading platform. Participants will hike 2-3 miles miles along the railroad grade and then turn west to return past the Baker cellarhole and cemetery on old roads.
Those planning to attend should bring water, wear water resistant footwear, and snowshoes if the snow is deep. The excursion is sponsored by the Mount Tabor-Danby Historical Society and will begin with a short history talk at the Society's museum in the basement of the Griffith Library on South Main Street in Danby. All those attending the hike will car pool from there.
For more information, contact Herb Ogden at 293-2510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no charge for the hike and the rain date will be Saturday, Feb. 9.