BENNINGTON — A late Sunday night fire at a mobile home park is believed to have been caused by a cigarette bucket, according to the Bennington Rural Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the East Mountain Park Mobile Home at 22 Chapel Home Park Rd. at 11:30 on July 24. The fire was contained within 10 minutes, Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Mattison said, but emergency personnel remained on scene until about 2 a.m. securing the lot and the burnt structure.

No one was home at the time, however one female occupied the property and was in the process of moving out, Mattison said. The homeowner told Mattison that it seemed like a cigarette bucket ignited the fire.

Fire damaged consumed the entire front entrance of the mobile home. Mattison claimed it to be a total loss due to significant ruin, but the mobile home owner, Christopher Denio, told Mattison that it could be rebuilt.

No animals resided in the property, and no one sustained injuries.

East Mountain Park is formerly known as Chapel Road Mobile Home. It was established in 1968 and is run by Christopher and his wife Dawn Denio. The park consists of 29 lots, seven of which are vacant, according to 2015 Registry of Vermont Mobile Home Parks.

Mr. and Mrs. Denio declined to comment.


The Bennington Police Department, Bennington Village Fire Department and the Bennington Rescue Squad also responded to the fire.

— Makayla-Courtney McGeeney can be reached at 802-447-7567, ext. 118.