SOUTH LONDONDERRY >> An accidental fire on Bungalow Road required the assistance of firefighters from nearly 20 departments to suppress.
According to a press release from Jeff Duda, the assistant fire chief for South Londonderry, the initial first alarm went out at 5:37 on Sunday, Jan. 24.
The department learned that the building involved, a fully insulated workshop belonging to Fergus Smith, caught fire while the indoor wood furnace was being loaded. The building was described as a 36-by-80 gambrel barn, 32-feet tall, that is also used for storage and as an office.
Upon arrival of the first firefighters, the fire was in the walls of the second floor and into the roof area. A second alarm was quickly followed by a third alarm, to include a special call for Manchester fire interior crews.
According to the press release, the fire continued to travel in the roof area, spreading halfway down the structure.
"Crews were challenged by the construction of the building with a void space below the roof allowing fire to travel and the metal roof, which could not be removed until the tower truck from Stratton was brought in," noted Duda. "Minor water shortages existed as well, but the third alarm brought many large volume tankers into the situation.
The last South Londonderry crews left the scene at 12:45 a.m. No injuries occurred and the fire is considered accidental, noted the press release.
The structure still stands and Mr. Smith is beginning to recover items from the building," wrote Duda, who noted this was the first major fire for the department's new engine.