* Homemade trail mix with unsalted nuts, dried fruit, and whole grain cereal such as Cheerios
* Easy-to-eat fruit such as grapes, peeled oranges, or sliced apples
* Raw celery spread with peanut butter
* Baby carrots - they're sweet, crunchy and delicious all on their own
* Plain popcorn
* Homemade muffins with dried fruit and nuts for extra fiber and nutrition
* Whole grain crackers spread with peanut butter
Bring along a cooler, and you create more options for healthy snacks:
* Low-fat string cheese
* Individual containers of low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt (don't forget the spoons)
* Hummus with snow peas for dipping
Portion snacks ahead of time into individual baggies. That way there are lots of options, and each person can choose their favorite snack. Instead of drinking sugar-packed beverages such as soda or fruit drinks, bring along water to make sure everyone stays hydrated. Enjoy the trip.
Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, cPT is a health, food and fitness coach in Manchester and online at www.LynnGrieger.com.