Thanks to a noisy cat, the occupant was able to escape the second blaze. No one was injured. Several surrounding homes sustained minor damage. According to the Manchester Fire Department, the first call was received at 3:15 a.m. The fire was under control by 4 a.m., with the home still intact. Later that morning, at about 6:50 a.m., the fire rekindled and fully engulfed the structure.
Kevin Tobin was the only family member home at the time of the second fire. He said he was awakened by the family cat. He ran to the police station and reported the blaze.
The fire department was on the scene by 7 a.
In all, there was roughly $30,000 worth of damage, according to the report.
Manchester Fire Chief Philip "Grub" Bourn said that the day before, an electrical fire was put out by a fire extinguisher and was not reported, which may have contributed to the start of the fire the following morning.
A shed close to the fire was blackened and a couple of nearby mobile homes had melted vinyl and some burn marks.
The Red Cross is temporarily housing the Tobin family - Jessica, Kevin and their two children - at the Autumn Inn in Bennington for three days.
Bruce Pollock, deputy chief response officer for the Green Mountain Chapter of the American Red Cross in Brattleboro, said that the Red Cross gives them time to find other housing.
"Our goal is to try to give assistance within a couple of hours" said Pollock.
The Red Cross also provides food, clothing and storage as they get back on their feet.
"The next step is finding a place to live," said Jessica Tobin. "We are also looking for clothing and school supplies for my kids."
Those interested in helping can contact Antoinette Todd on Facebook or the Green Mountain Chapter of the Red Cross located in Brattleboro at 1-802-254-2377.