Excitement for the race hit a bit of a lull just weeks ago, when organizers became concerned about the low number of registrations that they had received for the Race due to backlash against the Susan G. Komen/Planned Parenthood controversy in February.
Now, with just days to go, organizers say that the numbers are slowly climbing.
"Things have improved a little bit," said VT-NH Affiliate President Deb Peretz said. "As of right now [Tuesday, July 24] we are at 1,054 registered. We are around 30 percent down from
With the numbers so low, the local affiliate decided to confront the issue head on and get the word out that none of the money raised by the local Race for the Cure goes to the Komen National organization. 75 percent of the money raised stays in Vermont and New Hampshire and the other 25 percent goes to research.
"We decided to address the 'elephant in the room' and remind people of the numbers, 75 percent of the money raised stays in Vermont and New Hampshire," said Peretz. "It seemed like the right time to remind them."
The reminder seemed to have worked, as registration has improved, and Peretz is excited about this
For those who have not registered, registration will open at the Hildene Meadows on Friday, July 27, from noon to 6 p.m. There will also be day-of registration, with that opening at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 28.
The 5K run will begin at 9 a.m., followed by the 5K Walk, which will begin at 10 a.m. The Kid's Fun Run will go off at 11 a.m.
For more information about the Race for the Cure, go to www.komenvtnh.org or call 362-2733.