Presenters Bill Badger and Judy Harwood will look at the architecture of the houses while explaining the families who built them. The initial owner of the Bonnet Street land was Gilman Wilson. Arriving in Manchester about 1838, he acquired two marble mills on Munson Brook and a farm on Barnumville Road in addition to the Bonnet Street land.
Many of the original houses are still standing while others were demolished to make room for commercial enterprises. Neighborhood families include the Rowes, Graves, Shaws, Bennetts, Connells and Brewsters. One of the houses is a Sears Roebuck house, the Alladin model.
This free program will start at the Chamber of Commerce parking lot at 7 p.m. on July 17 and will conclude in the Chamber building for free refreshments. This program is generously sponsored by Berkshire Bank. For more information, please see www.manchesterhistoricalsocietyvt.org.