DORSET >> The Dorset Union Store was established in 1816, a mere 25 years after Congress admitted the state of Vermont into the Union.Today, it remains one of the oldest country stores in the Green Mountain State and has been continuously serving its community for 200 years.
In 1839 the store was bought by Moore Holley & Company and subsequently took on several identities including S.F. Holley & Co. and Holley & Gray Co. According to documents found in the store attic, in 1845 it was known as Underhill & Gray, then Clark Gray in 1847.
In 1851, the store name became the Dorset Union Store once again.In 1926, Perry Peltier and Kimball Tifft entered into a partnership and named the business Peltier & Tifft general store. The relationship lasted until 1955 when Kimball sold his interest to Perry and the store then operated under the venerable name of Peltiers for over 50 years. The last 27 years of that era, the store was in the capable hands of Jay and Terri Hathaway who raised their family in the living quarters above the store.
Fast forward to July 2007, when Cindy Loudenslager and Gretchen Schmidt purchased the store and returned it to its original name — The Dorset Union Store.
In honor of its 200th anniversary The Dorset Union Store located at 31 Church Street Dorset, will be hosting a celebration that lasts for the entire year with gifts and special offerings for their customers! Stop by and enjoy a bit of history along with the many goodies the store has to offer.