BARRE >> Vermont Division of Fire Safety Director Michael Desrochers is again kindly reminding Vermonters to have properly installed and maintained smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their homes. So far in 2016 five Vermonters have been killed in fires and two more have died as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Smoke alarms, when properly installed and maintained can provide you the necessary early warning needed to escape a life threatening situation," Desrochers said. A fire that starts while you sleep immediately becomes a deadly hazard for you and your family, so early detection absolutely critical."
Smoke alarms should be installed outside the immediate vicinity of sleeping rooms, in each sleeping room, and on each floor of the home – including the basement. Never re-enter a burning home – get out, stay out, and call 911.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas that is not detectable without carbon monoxide alarms. There are many potential sources of carbon monoxide. The most common sources are heating appliances, wood burning stoves, generators, automobiles, gas cooking appliances, barbeque-grills (charcoal & propane), gas ranges, and gas refrigerators. CO alarms can be installed in the same location where you install smoke alarms. If your CO alarm activates immediately leave your house, call 911 and let the fire department mitigate the hazard.
For additional safety information please visit our web page at firesafety.vermont.gov.