WESTON - The public is invited to the unveiling of a new state historical marker, prepared by the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, recognizing the Civilian Conservation Corps camp that existed in Weston in the 1930s and 40s. It will take place from 4-6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 4. The ceremony will take place at the mill yard on Route 100 that adjoins the Museums of Weston. Speakers, including Lyman Orton, Proprietor of the Vermont Country Store, will touch on the history of the Corps, how the Weston marker came to be produced, family reminiscences of life in the camp, and will extend thanks to those who, in Weston and at State agencies, were instrumental in bringing the project to life.
A reception with refreshments will follow in the Farrar Mansur Museum, where displays of photographs and memorabilia from the Weston CCC camp will be on view. A few days later, the marker will be moved to its permanent site at the intersection of VT Route155 and Forest Road 299, the road that led to the CCC camp.
The CCC, a program devised by Franklin Roosevelt during the Depression to provide work for unemployed young men, built and repaired roads and bridges, planted and conserved trees, fought forest fires, and participated in local town events. Nationally, they built well-known National Parks and Recreation areas. Locally, the facilities at Hapgood Pond, including the stone shelters, remain as part of their legacy.
Other accomplishments of the CCC in Vermont included the planting of over a million trees, major flood control projects on the Winooski River, building the first ski trails on Mount Mansfield and constructing 10 fire lookout towers. In 1937 there were 30 CCC camps active in Vermont.